Pages

Saturday 14 May 2011

Icons


I think about Icons quite a lot while I am in Greece.  Whether it is simply reproductions in a souvenir shop, a single, saint's image hung on a cottage wall or the stunning treasures that gleam gold from their resting places on the walls of one of the numerous orthodox churches, for me they are the image of Greece.




Possibly more people use the word presently in the context of their mobile phone.







Saints’ images are not my only Greek icons, there are also those related to the beautiful land, food, sky and local inhabitants.  I have been travelling to this tiny Ionian island almost yearly for 10 years now and each year I wonder if I have now seen everything and whether there is anyhting I havenot photographed, but I always find something and sometimes can’t resist taking another picture of a favourite image or scene. 

Like lemons in the sunshine



Or a view from our harbour side table as we sip local rosé







Then there is the corner of a garden


Goats


Or my breakfast set out in my favourite place in the early morning sun



 And finally this year I have brought my knitting


xx

C
PS  more of the Cushion Triptych in my next post




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the colours in that yarn!

Anonymous said...

I could see and smell it all-lovely.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful post. I love your blog so much!

I know it's a little sketchy since I'm a first-time commenter, but I've nominated you for a versatile blogger award on my own blog.

Here's a link, and I hope you have a wonderful day! http://silverroseknits.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/versatile-blogger-award/